[openstack-dev] [stable] Making stable maintenance its own OpenStack project team

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Nov 13 16:55:31 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2015-11-13 15:10:24 +0100:
> So.. quick summary of this thread so far.
>
> (-)
> * Not enough work to warrant a designated "team", now that the work is
> decentralized and the cats are mostly herding themselves
> * The change is unlikely to bring a meaningful improvement to the
> situation, or sudden new resources
>
> (+)
> * An empowered team could tackle new coordination tasks, like engaging
> more directly in converging stable branch rules across teams, or
> producing tools
> * Release management doesn't overlap anymore with stable branch, so
> having them under that PTL is limiting and inefficient
> * Reinforcing the branding (by giving it its own team) may encourage
> more organizations to affect new resources to it
>
> In summary, I think this is worth a try. If the team fails, at least it
> will be on its own rather than as the 5th squeaky wheel of release
> management (where lack of leadership and focus could be rightly blamed
> for failure).
>
> For this to succeed, we need someone to own the effort and push it
> forward, and a number of people caring enough about it to attend regular
> meetings about it and to lurk on #openstack-stable. I'm fine helping the
> team in the spin-off effort but I don't want to lead it (I proved I was
> unable to make it my top priority in the past, so I think the team
> deserves a more focused lead).
>
> Erno has volunteered to lead. Ihar, Alan (Pevec) and myself don't have
> enough time to lead but are happy to help. Anyone else interested to
> join that initial group ? Flavio ? Matt ?
>
> Once we have a list of key members we should set up a meeting to discuss
> the details.

I'm willing to help with the initial team setup, working out the
details, transitioning ownership of docs, etc. I'm not sure how much
time I'll have to devote to other stable-related activities this cycle,
but may have more in the future.

Doug