[openstack-dev] [api] consolidate IRC change with #openstack-sdk?

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Nov 13 13:18:44 UTC 2015

Please note that should be #openstack-sdks (plural) !

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 6:58 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>
> The #openstack-api IRC channel is quite quiet most days. As such it's
> not something that people are regularly checking in on, or often forget
> about (I know I've been guilty of that). Plus we don't always have the
> right people in a conversation to make a decision.
>
> I'd like to propose we drop the channel entirely and make #openstack-sdk
> the home of API working group conversations. That's where all the
> openstackclient, openstackclientconfig, and sdk conversations are
> happening. It's where the end consumers of any API WG effort are, so are
> incredibly good sounding boards for things we are doing. There is
> already a large overlap between the two channels, so just pushing
> forward on that means more critical mass for conversations around the
> whole space of a more usable API for users.
>
> This came up at the last API WG meeting, but those are pretty low quorum
> events, so this is a thing we should definitely decide over ML instead.
>
> Please express your feelings here and lets make it happen. :)

A little bit of data to inform the decision. I threw together a quick n' dirty spreadsheet [1] to see what the user overlap is like.

16 of the 39 in #openstack-api are already in #openstack-sdks.

I'm actually not super opinionated on it. But I suppose I'd lean towards folding it in.

Would like to hear what others in the API WG think.

Everett

[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12i1bSIu38yLXnAiasNjb4Nzhy1yaHmVOQ3kFr1GIFIk/edit?usp=sharing