[openstack-dev] [neutron][qos][fwaas] service groups vs. traffic classifiers

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 09:12:58 UTC 2015

Paul Carver <pcarver at paulcarver.us> wrote:

> On 11/12/2015 3:50 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>> All I am saying is that IF we merge some classifier API into neutron
>> core and start using it for core, non-experimental, features, we cannot
>> later move to some newer version of this API [that you will iterate on]
>> without leaving a huge pile of compatibility code that would not exist
>> in the first place if only we thought about proper API in advance. If
>> that’s what you envision, fine; but I believe it will make adoption of
>> the ‘evolving’ API a lot slower than it could otherwise be.
>
> I don't think I disagree at all. But we don't have a classifier API in
> neutron core (unless we consider security groups to be it) and I don't
> think anyone is saying that the classifier in networking-sfc should be
> merged straight into core as-is. In fact I think we're saying exactly the
> opposite, that *a* classifier will sit in networking-sfc, outside of core
> neutron, until *some* classifier is merged into core neutron.

That’s why I raised service groups spec in this thread: it seems it’s
planned to be added into core, with all compatibility guarantees; and was
planned for adoption for the new fwaas API (as per summit sessions). At
least I haven’t found anything in their spec that would suggest it’s
experimental.

It may mean that at the moment when you arrive to some classifier API that
you can claim the best we can get, there can be a rival classifier API in
the core tree already.