[openstack-dev] What's Up, Doc? 13 November 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Nov 13 04:24:01 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Well, things are starting to ramp up again after Summit.

This week, I've spent some time catching up with other PTLs, and also worked on the DocImpact spec. I've also implemented my plan to get the Speciality Team leads to provide content on their projects individually, so many thanks to them for replying with so much great info!

== Progress towards Mitaka ==

145 days to go!

100 bugs closed so far for this release.

DocImpact
* I've updated the spec and made contact with Infra to nut out the finer technical details: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/review-docimpact

RST Conversions
* Arch Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/archguide-mitaka-rst
** Contact the Ops Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide
* Ops Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/ops-guide-rst
** Lana will reach out to O'Reilly to discuss the printed book before this work begins
* Config Ref
** Contact the Config Ref Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/ConfigRef
* Virtual Machine Image Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/image-guide-rst and https://review.openstack.org/#/c/244598/

Reorganisations
* Arch Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/archguide-mitaka-reorg
** Contact the Ops Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide
* User Guides
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/user-guides-reorganised
** Contact the User Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/User_Guides

Document openstack-doc-tools and reorganise index page
* Thanks to Brian for volunteering to take this on!

Horizon UX work
* There's an interesting opportunity to improve the wording in Horizon, specifically around LBaaS, and also to develop a set of standards around the language used in the dashboard. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get you in contact with the right people.

== Speciality Teams ==

'''HA Guide - Bogdan Dobrelya'''
Created a poll to shift HA guide IRC meeting time (http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2015-November/007830.html). Submitted a status for HA guide testing (http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2015-October/007718.html), hoping to see more participants in testing. Trying to push few patches, and initiated related discussion: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/225418/ and https://review.openstack.org/235893. Thinking on how to effectively collaborate with Adam Spiers and his Openstack HA initiative (http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/079127.html) to benefit HA guide project as well.

'''Installation Guide - Christian Berendt'''
Moved the team meeting from Google Hangout to IRC (online at http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Documentation_Install_Team_Meeting), we had our first team meeting on the IRC (http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/docinstallteam/2015/docinstallteam.2015-11-11-01.03.html), we discussed the inclusion of hypervisor specific appendixes, no consensus at the moment, really good progress on the Debian install guide, zigo is doing a good job.

'''Networking Guide - Edgar Magana'''
We have a new spec for OVN: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/244367/ I am going to start pulling people into specific patches.

'''Security Guide - Nathaniel Dillon'''
We have added a new chapter on Manila and have completed the reworking of the case studies.

'''User Guides - Joseph Robinson'''
Our meeting format has changed from hangouts to IRC meetings, with the appropriate changes made to the meetbot script thanks to Brian. The mitaka specification: the priority at the moment is checking in with project docs liaisons to confirm what services are in scope, and then add a short statement to the specification outlining this scope. Responding to Cloud Admin Guide patches. Thanks to Andreas for the link.

'''Ops and Arch Guides - Shilla Saebi'''
The operations guide RST migration is on hold until we find out if we are going to move forward with docbook or RST. In the meantime we are looking to add content and update it. The architecture guide RST conversion is underway. The progress on chapters and pages can be checked via the wiki page: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate

'''API Docs - Anne Gentle'''
Russell Sim plans to revise the templates for developer.openstack.org landing page to better match docs.openstack.org. We'll also map out a plan for fairy-slipper and the WADL migration. Spec to be updated soon.

'''Config Ref - Gauvain Pocentek'''
The initial structure for the Config Reference RST migration is up, the automation tools are ready to handle RST tables generation, and a couple pages have already been converted. We're waiting for the liberty branching to start pushing more converted pages.

'''Training labs - Pranav Salunke'''
Added Kilo support, still under review but in final stages (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/237061/). Halfway through adding KVM support, will probably need more time. Other small things like fixing readmes etc. Still pending to decide IRC meeting time.

'''Training Guides - Matjaz Pancur'''
Two new core reviewers: Kato Tomoyuki and Tim Freund. We also added a new policy for cores: current lead of Upstream training session (held before each Summit) is now part of the core team by function.

'''Hyperviser Tuning Guide - Joe Topjian'''
All data from the past etherpads have been compiled onto the wiki (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HypervisorTuningGuide). My goal right now is to translate the raw notes into something more readable. Once the page starts to resemble a readable guide, I'll try to rally others to join in.

== Doc team meeting ==

We held the APAC docs meeting this week, you can read the minutes here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-11-11

Next meetings:
US: Wednesday 18 November, 14:00 UTC
APAC: Wednesday 25 November, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

- --

Keep on doc'ing!
Lana