[openstack-dev] Linux kernel IPv4 configuration during the neutron installation

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Wed Nov 11 10:50:04 UTC 2015

On 11/11/15 10:30, JinXing F wrote:

> Hi, guys:
>
>     during the neutron installation guide, I found that we need to
> config the linux kernel as bellow:
>
> net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
>
> net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=0
>
> net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=0
>

> the first one is the ip address translation between LAN and WLAN,

No, that's incorrect.  net.ipv4.ip_forward simply allows Linux to
forward IPv4 packets - i.e. to receive a packet on one network
interface, determine that it is not a packet that should be delivered
locally, and forward it on to its next IP hop.  There is no IP address
translation involved here.

> the second and third command is used for "Reverse Path Filtering".
>
> I cann't understand the purpose of the config in the neutron.

Do you mean that you don't understand what "Reverse Path Filtering" is?
Or that you don't understand why Neutron needs RPF to be disabled?

For the former, please see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_path_forwarding.

Regards,
    Neil