[openstack-dev] Linux kernel IPv4 configuration during the neutron installation

JinXing F jinxing.f at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:25:05 UTC 2015

Hi, guys:

    during the neutron installation guide, I found that we need to config
the linux kernel as bellow:

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=0

net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=0

the first one is the ip address translation between LAN and WLAN, the
second and third command is used for "Reverse Path Filtering".

I cann't understand the purpose of the config in the neutron.

1. If the instance in compute node connect with exteral network,what's the
function of the three config?

2. The instance connect with each others, what's the function of the three
config?

I am very confused about this config.Please explain the answer to me.

Thanks.