[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Let's stop hijacking other projects' OSC namespaces

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 17:56:03 UTC 2015

On 09/11/15 07:44, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:

> As we already have "openstack undercloud" and "openstack overcloud"
> prefixes for TripleO, I suggest we move these commands under "openstack
> overcloud nodes" namespace. So we end up with:
>
>   overcloud nodes import
>   overcloud nodes configure ready state --drac
>   overcloud nodes configure boot

Terminology around these machines is always confusing, because they are
related to both the undercloud (in the sense of being resources managed
the undercloud's Ironic) and the overcloud (in the sense of being the
substrate on which the overcloud is deployed).

I have probably been using the terminology wrongly, but FWIW it was
extremely surprising to me to see these fall into the overcloud bucket,
given that at the time they're used the overcloud doesn't even exist. (I
guess I would have gone with "undercloud baremetal", although I can see
how that could potentially be equally confusing.)

cheers,
Zane.