[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Quick poll: OpenStackClient command for provision action

Brad P. Crochet brad at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 16:14:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Brad P. Crochet <brad at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> In this case, the noun is actually 'baremetal provision state'. The
>> 'action' is the states themselves. It doesn't fit exactly, but seems
>> to at least be somewhat natural.
>

> resource == provision state (add baremetal if namespacing is required)
> action == set
> value == --state x|y|z
>
> provision state set --state active|deleted|provide <id>
>
> (note: I'd rethink those state names and see if they can feel more
> consistent)
>
>> > Let's have a quick poll, which would you prefer and why:
>> >
>> > 1. openstack baremetal provision state --provide UUID
>> > 2. openstack baremetal provision --provide UUID
>> > 3. openstack baremetal provide UUID
>> > 4. openstack baremetal set provision state --provide UUID
>> > 5. openstack baremetal set state --provide UUID
>> > 6. openstack baremetal action --provide UUID
>>
>> I think my vote would be for #4 (or #5 if 'state' alone is enough to
>> convey the intent). I would love to get an OSC person's view on that
>> one. (Question already asked in another post)
>

> state by itself is not very meaningful.  if 'baremetal state' is meaningful
> to a user that might be OK.  But what thing has that state?  A node?  I
> don't know what 'provision state' also refers to, a node? a port?

There was some discussion on one of the patches about changing to
'baremetal node'. I was a little concerned by that since the original
'baremetal' commands have landed, but I think since they landed
post-Liberty, we wouldn't need to worry about a deprecation period. Am
I correct in thinking that?

> dt
>
> --
>
> Dean Troyer
> dtroyer at gmail.com

Brad P. Crochet, RHCA, RHCE, RHCVA, RHCDS
Principal Software Engineer
(c) 704.236.9385 (w) 919.301.3231