[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Let's stop hijacking other projects' OSC namespaces

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Nov 10 15:43:51 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 05:26 AM, John Trowbridge wrote:

> [...]
>> properties, only those known to os-cloud-config.
>>
>> 3. baremetal introspection bulk start
>>
>>  This command does several bad (IMO) things:
>>  a. Messes with ironic node states
>>  b. Operates implicitly on all nodes (in a wrong state)
>>  c. Defaults to polling
>>

> I have considered this whole command as a bug for a while now. I
> understand what we were trying to do and why, but it is pretty bad to
> hijack another project's namespace with a command that would get a firm
> -2 there.
>
>> 4. baremetal show capabilities
>>
>>  This is the only commands that is generic enough and could actually
>> make it to ironicclient itself.
>>
>> 5. baremetal introspection bulk status
>>
>>  See "bulk start" above.
>>
>> 6. baremetal configure ready state
>>
>>  First of all, this and the next command use "baremetal configure"
>> prefix. I would not promise we'll never start using it in ironic,
>> breaking the whole TripleO.
>>
>>  Seconds, it's actually DELL-specific.
>>
>> 7. baremetal configure boot
>>
>>  This one is nearly ok, but it defaults to local boot, which is not an
>> upstream default. Default values for images may not work outside of
>> TripleO as well.
>>
>> Proposal
>> ========
>>
>> As we already have "openstack undercloud" and "openstack overcloud"
>> prefixes for TripleO, I suggest we move these commands under "openstack
>> overcloud nodes" namespace. So we end up with:
>>
>>  overcloud nodes import
>>  overcloud nodes configure ready state --drac
>>  overcloud nodes configure boot
>>
>> As you see, I require an explicit --drac argument for "ready state"
>> command. As to the remaining commands:
>>
>> 1. baremetal introspection status --all
>>
>>   This is fine to move to inspector-client, as inspector knows which
>> nodes are/were on introspection. We'll need a new API though.
>>
>> 2. baremetal show capabilities
>>
>>   We'll have this or similar command in ironic, hopefully this cycle.
>>
>> 3. overcloud nodes introspect --poll --allow-available
>>
>>   I believe that we need to make 2 things explicit in this replacement
>> for "introspection bulk status": polling and operating on "available"
>> nodes.
>
> I am not totally convinced that we gain a huge amount by hiding the
> state manipulation in this command. We need to move that logic to
> tripleo-common anyways, so I think it is worth considering splitting it
> from the introspect command.
>
> Dmitry and I discussed briefly at summit having the ability to pass a
> list of nodes to the inspector client for introspection as well. So if
> we separated out the bulk state manipulation bit, we could just use that.
>
> I get that this is going in the opposite direction of the original
> intention of lowering the amount of commands needed to get a functional
> deployment. However, I think that goal is better solved elsewhere
> (tripleo.sh, some ansible playbooks, etc.). Instead it would be nice if

-2.  This is exactly the thing that got us to a place where our GUI was
unusable.  Business logic (and state management around Ironic node
inspection is just that) has to live in the API so all consumers can
take advantage of it.  Otherwise everyone has to reimplement it
themselves and anything but the developer-used CLI interfaces (like
tripleo.sh) fall behind, and we end up right back where we are today.

It's not simply about reducing the number of commands to deploy a cloud,
it's also (and more importantly) about codifying the process behind an
API that can be used by the CLI, GUI, and any other future clients
someone wants to write.