[openstack-dev] [oslo] XxxOpt classes "kept for backward-compatibility" in oslo.config

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 14:30:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

In oslo_config/cfg.py, there is a main Opt class which takes an optional
type parameter (default is oslo_config.types.String). But there is also
a long list of XxxOpt classes: StrOpt, BoolOpt, FloatOpt, ListOpt,
IPOpt, etc. Recently I saw *new* classes added with the "kept for
backward-compatibility" comment, comment copied from existing classes.

What is the plan for these XxxOpt classes? Is there a clear plan to
deprecate them and remove them? Or can we agree on keeping them and so
removing the comment?

It looks like oslo_config.cfg.Opt is *never* used directly in OpenStack.
Only specialized options StrOpt, IntOpt etc. are used.

So the obvious choice is to remove the comment, right?

Victor