[openstack-dev] [nova][bugs] Weekly Status Report

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Mon Nov 9 16:15:43 UTC 2015

Diana Clarke <diana.joan.clarke at gmail.com> wrote on 11/06/2015 09:54:03
PM:

> From: Diana Clarke <diana.joan.clarke at gmail.com>
> Date: 11/06/2015 09:54 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][bugs] Weekly Status Report
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Markus Zoeller <mzoeller at de.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > below is the first report of bug stats I intend to post weekly.
> > We discussed it shortly during the Mitaka summit that this report
> > could be useful to keep the attention of the open bugs at a certain
> > level. Let me know if you think it's missing something.
>
> Thanks Markus!
>
> On the topic of triaging bugs, I'd love to see more of the Nova bugs
> tagged with low-hanging-fruit (when appropriate) for those of us
> looking for new-contributor-friendly bugs to work on.
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=low-hanging-fruit
>
> Thanks again & have a great weekend!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --diana

True, that's a useful way of onboarding new contributors. Unfortunately
as soon as a bug is tagged with it, someone grabbed it already.
And the old bugs (> 1 year) are probably not "low hanging". I just can
encourage that the people who triage the bugs in their area of expertise
try to check if this is a "new-contributor-friendly" bug and leave it
open for them.
You could also have a look at the bugs in the "Triaged" state. They
should have enough information to fix the bug.

Regarding "non-bug" areas where you can contribute, there are also some
areas which called out explicitley for more help. I remember:
* the API team [1] and
* the notification/tasks area [2].
Maybe it makes sense to reach out to them and ask how you can help there.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-nova-api
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-nova-error-handling

Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)