[openstack-dev] [networking-ovs-dpdk]

Mooney, Sean K sean.k.mooney at intel.com
Mon Nov 9 14:54:38 UTC 2015

Hi
Can you provide some more information regarding your deployment?

Can you check which kernel you are using.

uname -a

If you are using a 3.19 kernel changes to some locking code in the kennel broke synchronization dpdk2.0 and requires dpdk 2.1 to be used instead.
In general it is not advisable to use a 3.19 kernel with dpdk as it can lead to non-deterministic behavior.

When devstack hangs can you connect with a second ssh session and run
	sudo service ovs-dpdk status
and
	ps aux | grep ovs

When the deployment hangs at sudo ovs-vsctl br-set-external-id br-ex bridge-id br-ex
It usually means that the ovs-vswitchd process has exited.

This can happen for a number of reasons.
The vswitchd process may exit if it  failed to allocate memory (due to memory fragmentation or lack of free hugepages)
if the ovs-vswitchd.log is not available can you check the the hugepage mount point was created in
/mnt/huge And that Iis mounted
Run
	ls -al /mnt/huge
and
	mount

then checkout how many hugepages are mounted

	cat /proc/meminfo | grep huge

the vswitchd process may also exit if it  failed to initializes dpdk interfaces.
This can happen if no interface is  compatible with the igb-uio or vfio-pci drivers
(note in the vfio-pci case all interface in the same iommu group must be bound to the vfio-pci driver and
The iommu must be enabled in the kernel command line with VT-d enabled in the bios)

Can you  check which interface are bound to the dpdk driver by running the following command

	/opt/stack/DPDK-v2.0.0/tools/dpdk_nic_bind.py --status

Finally can you confim that ovs-dpdk compiled successfully by either check the xstack.log or
Checking for the BUILD_COMPLETE file in /opt/stack/ovs

Regards
sean