[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Let's stop hijacking other projects' OSC namespaces

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Nov 9 12:44:56 UTC 2015

Hi OOO'ers, hopefully the subject caught your attentions :)

Currently, tripleoclient exposes several commands in "openstack
baremetal" and "openstack baremetal introspection" namespaces belonging
to ironic and ironic-inspector accordingly. TL;DR of this email is to
deprecate them and move to TripleO-specific namespaces. Read on to know why.

Problem
=======

I realized that we're doing a wrong thing when people started asking me
why "baremetal introspection start" and "baremetal introspection bulk
start" behave so differently (the former is from ironic-inspector, the
latter is from tripleoclient). The problem with TripleO commands is that
they're highly opinionated workflows commands, but there's no way a user
can distinguish them from general-purpose ironic/ironic-inspector
commands. The way some of them work is not generic enough ("baremetal
import"), or uses different defaults from an upstream project
("configure boot"), or does something completely unacceptable upstream
(e.g. the way "introspection bulk start" deals with node states).

So, here are commands that tripleoclient exposes with my comments:

1. baremetal instackenv validate

  This command assumes there's an "baremetal instackenv" object, while
instackenv is a tripleo-specific file format.

2. baremetal import

  This command supports a limited subset of ironic drivers and driver
properties, only those known to os-cloud-config.

3. baremetal introspection bulk start

  This command does several bad (IMO) things:
  a. Messes with ironic node states
  b. Operates implicitly on all nodes (in a wrong state)
  c. Defaults to polling

4. baremetal show capabilities

  This is the only commands that is generic enough and could actually
make it to ironicclient itself.

5. baremetal introspection bulk status

  See "bulk start" above.

6. baremetal configure ready state

  First of all, this and the next command use "baremetal configure"
prefix. I would not promise we'll never start using it in ironic,
breaking the whole TripleO.

  Seconds, it's actually DELL-specific.

7. baremetal configure boot

  This one is nearly ok, but it defaults to local boot, which is not an
upstream default. Default values for images may not work outside of
TripleO as well.

Proposal
========

As we already have "openstack undercloud" and "openstack overcloud"
prefixes for TripleO, I suggest we move these commands under "openstack
overcloud nodes" namespace. So we end up with:

  overcloud nodes import
  overcloud nodes configure ready state --drac
  overcloud nodes configure boot

As you see, I require an explicit --drac argument for "ready state"
command. As to the remaining commands:

1. baremetal introspection status --all

   This is fine to move to inspector-client, as inspector knows which
nodes are/were on introspection. We'll need a new API though.

2. baremetal show capabilities

   We'll have this or similar command in ironic, hopefully this cycle.

3. overcloud nodes introspect --poll --allow-available

   I believe that we need to make 2 things explicit in this replacement
for "introspection bulk status": polling and operating on "available" nodes.

4. overcloud nodes import --dry-run

   could be a replacement for "baremetal instackenv validate".

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Dmitry.