[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] About rebuilding volume-backed instances.

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:20:33 UTC 2015

Hi Zheng, comments inline...

On 11/09/2015 02:04 AM, Zhenyu Zheng wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Currently, we have strong demands about "rebuilding"(or actions like
> rebuilding) volume-backed instances. As in production deployment, volume
> backed instance is widely used. Users have the demands of performing the
> rebuild(recovery) action

Rebuild definitely does not equal recovery in Nova. It is *not* a
data-safe operation and was never intended as such. More below...

 > for root device while maintain instance UUID
> sorts of information, many users also wants to keep the volume uuid
> unchanged.

I can kind of see the argument for maintaining volume UUID, instance
UUID and IP addresses for purposes of not breaking orchestration tooling
or scripts that refer to the UUID. It's not cloudy, but for "pet" VMs,
it's a pretty common request.

> Nova side doesn't support using Rebuild API directly for volume backed
> instances (the volume will not change).

The rebuild API "starts over from scratch" and therefore doesn't make
sense for volume-backed instances (because there is no starting over
from scratch since all data on the root volume is saved to the volume).

 > And Nova side also doesn't
> support detaching root device, that means we cannot performing volume
> backup/restore from cinder side, because those actions needs the volume
> in "available" status.

Couldn't you just snapshot the instance? That is the recommended way to
perform a "backup" operation.

Changing the operating system (mentioned in your followup post response
to Clint) isn't a "restore" operation that I've ever heard of. Are you
actually referring to a *rescue* API operation here?

http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2.1.html#rescue

Best,
-jay