[openstack-dev] [oslo][messaging] Summary for drivers discussion

ozamiatin ozamiatin at mirantis.com
Mon Nov 9 10:31:50 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Just wanted to sum up a little bit from the discussions at Mitaka summit
(etherpad available [0]).

General for oslo.messaging:

- Implement single-machine failover test suite using multiprocessing +
iptables for network failures emulation.
     Needed for emulating different situations critical for messaging
(like connectivity lost or server restart or server hangs) to see how
oslo messaging (or a specific driver) deals with that.

- Write detailed specification of messaging patterns (API) to form
expectations of their behavior, reliability etc.
   From session etherpad: "Define more *explicitly* semantics of cast,
call, and what is expected"

- Divide RPC and Notifications drivers so we can use different backends
for each pattern.

For ZeroMQ (slides [1])

Make driver production-ready in Mitaka cycle.
- Make use of tooz library with different driver backends instead of
matchmakers
- Implement more matchmaker backends in addition to redis (more
effective ones).
- Provide more configuration options for zmq driver (like port-binding
ranges, memory limitations etc.)
- Provide versioning of critical places like request serialization,
publisher/consumer compatibility etc.

For Pika (slides [2])

There were proposed to use pika driver as the default rabbitmq driver in
future releases without any backwards
compatibility with the old driver. Leave kombu driver for previous versions.

For Kafka

Spec is accepted and available at [3]
The driver is not intended for RPC but may be used as an alternative for
notifications.

If I missed something please correct me.
Was very pleased to meet all of you at the summit!

Thanks,
Oleksii

[0] - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-oslo-messaging-zmq-pika-kafka
[1] - http://www.slideshare.net/AlexeyZamiatin/zmq-driver-mitaka-summit