[openstack-dev] [Heat] Deprecate heat-keystone-setup

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 9 09:39:03 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 09:38:42PM +0800, xuanlangjian wrote:
>    I would like to deprecate heat-keystone-setup tool in bin folder, because
>    it's still using keystone client for execute keystone commands, and I
>    dona**t know if anyone still needs it. If no one use it, I think ita**s
>    better delete it instead of maintain it to use openstack client. I would
>    like to know if ita**s ok to remove it?
>    Relate bugs:
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1460884

As I mentioned in the bug, I believe this has long been deprecated in favor
of heat support in devstack (and other deployment tools with their own
solution to creating per-project content in keystone).

However the comment from ethanlynn (comment #4 in the bug referenced above)
suggests there may out of tree users who currently depend on it, so I guess
that means we need to provide warning via deprecation to ensure folks have
time to migrate away from the script.

I propose we do the following:

1. Land https://review.openstack.org/#/c/194496/ so the usage mentioned by
Ethan can be maintained.

2. Review the docs, to ensure the logic encapsulated by heat-keystone-setup
is clearly documented, e.g same logic via openstackclient in the docs.
(I think this is one of several ops documentation gaps we discussed in Tokyo)

3. Add a deprecation warning to the script, which logs to stderr that the
script is deprecated and scheduled for removal.  This can link the docs
from [2].  We need to maintain that for at least Mitaka to align with the
standard-deprecation guidelines[1].

I would like to do the same for heat-keystone-setup-domain if possible, as
that was always intended to be a temporary shim for TripleO (while we got
keystone v3 support wired in there).  Everything it does should be very
simple to do via openstackclient now, same as heat-keystone-setup.

Thanks,

Steve

[1] http://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/assert_follows-standard-deprecation.html