[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Change VIP address via API

Aleksey Kasatkin akasatkin at mirantis.com
Fri Nov 6 16:03:48 UTC 2015

Mike, Vladimir,

Yes,
1. We need to add IPs on-the-fly (need to add POST functionality) ,
otherwise it will be VIP-like way (change network roles in plugin or
release).
2. We should allow to leave fields 'network_role', 'node_roles', 'namespace'
empty. So, validation should be changed.

So, answer here

> Q. Any allocated IP could be accessible via these handlers, so now we can
> restrict user to access VIPs only
> and answer with some error to other ip_addrs ids.

should be "Any allocated IP is accessible via these handlers", so URLs can
be changed to
/clusters/<cluster_id>/network_configuration/ips/
/clusters/<cluster_id>/network_configuration/ips/<id>/
Nodes IPs maybe the different story though.

Alex,

'node_roles' determines in what node group to allocate IP. So, it will be
group with controller nodes for our base VIPs
(they all have node_roles=['controller'] which is default setting).
It can be some other node group for nodes with different role. E.g. ceph
nodes use some ceph/vip network role and VIP is defined
for this network role (with 'network_role'='ceph/vip' and
'node_roles'=['ceph/osd']).
This VIP will be allocated
in the network that 'ceph/vip' is mapped to and in the node group where
ceph nodes are located. ceph nodes cannot be located
in more than one node group then (as VIP cannot migrate between node groups
now).

Aleksey Kasatkin

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Vladimir Kuklin <vkuklin at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> +1 to Mike
>
> It would be awesome to get an API handler that allows one to actually add
> an ip address to IP_addrs table. As well as an IP range to ip_ranges table.
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:15 AM, Mike Scherbakov <mscherbakov at mirantis.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to make it more generic, not "VIP" specific? Let's say I
>> want to reserve address(-es) for something for whatever reason, and then I
>> want to use them by some tricky way.
>> More specifically, can we reserve IP address(-es) with some codename, and
>> use it later?
>> 12.12.12.12 - my-shared-ip
>> 240.0.0.2 - my-multicast
>> and then use them in puppet / whatever deployment code by $my-shared-ip,
>> $my-multicast?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 8:49 AM Aleksey Kasatkin <akasatkin at mirantis.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Here is a resume of our recent discussion:
>>>
>>> 1. Add new URLs for processing VIPs:
>>>
>>> /clusters/<cluster_id>/network_configuration/vips/ (GET)
>>> /clusters/<cluster_id>/network_configuration/vips/<id>/ (GET, PUT)
>>>
>>> where <id> is the id in ip_addrs table.
>>> So, user can get all VIPS, get one VIP by id, change parameters (IP
>>> address) for one VIP by its id.
>>> More possibilities can be added later.
>>>
>>> Q. Any allocated IP could be accessible via these handlers, so now we
>>> can restrict user to access VIPs only
>>> and answer with some error to other ip_addrs ids.
>>>
>>> 2. Add current VIP meta into ip_addrs table.
>>>
>>> Create new field in ip_addrs table for placing VIP metadata there.
>>> Current set of ip_addrs fields:
>>> id (int),
>>> network (FK),
>>> node (FK),
>>> ip_addr (string),
>>> vip_type (string),
>>> network_data (relation),
>>> node_data (relation)
>>>
>>> Q. We could replace vip_type (it contains VIP name now) with vip_info.
>>>
>>> 3. Allocate VIPs on cluster creation and seek VIPs at all network
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> So, VIPs will be checked (via network roles descriptions) and
>>> re-allocated in ip_addrs table
>>> at these points:
>>> a. create cluster
>>> b. modify networks configuration
>>> c. modify one network
>>> d. modify network template
>>> e. change nodes set for cluster
>>> f. change node roles set on nodes
>>> g. modify cluster attributes (change set of plugins)