[openstack-dev] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 6 10:43:52 UTC 2015

Tony Breeds wrote:
> [...]
> 1) Is it even possible to keep Juno alive (is the impact on the project as
>    a whole acceptable)?

It is *technically* possible, imho. The main cost to keep it is that the
branches get regularly broken by various other changes, and those breaks
are non-trivial to fix (we have taken steps to make branches more
resilient, but those only started to appear in stable/liberty). The
issues sometimes propagate (through upgrade testing) to master, at which
point it becomes everyone's problem to fix it. The burden ends up
falling on the usual gate fixers heroes, a rare resource we need to protect.

So it's easy to say "we should keep the branch since so many people
still use it", unless we have significantly more people working on (and
capable of) fixing it when it's broken, the impact on the project is
just not acceptable.

It's not the first time this has been suggested, and every time our
answer was "push more resources in fixing existing stable branches and
we might reconsider it". We got promised lots of support. But I don't
think we have yet seen real change in that area (I still see the same
usual suspects fixing stable gates), and things can still barely keep
afloat with our current end-of-life policy...

Stable branches also come with security support, so keeping more
branches opened mechanically adds to the work of the Vulnerability
Management Team, another rare resource.

There are other hidden costs on the infrastructure side (we can't get
rid of a number of things that we have moved away from until the old
branch still needing those things is around), but I'll let someone
closer to the metal answer that one.

> Assuming a positive answer:
>
> 2) Who's going to do the work?
>     - Me, who else?
> 3) What do we do if people don't actually do the work but we as a community
>    have made a commitment?

In the past, that generally meant people opposed to the idea of
extending support periods having to stand up for the community promise
and fix the mess in the end.

PS: stable gates are currently broken for horizon/juno, trove/kilo, and
neutron-lbaas/liberty.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)