[openstack-dev] [Neutron][kuryr] network control plane (libkv role)

Taku Fukushima tfukushima at midokura.com
Fri Nov 6 02:37:56 UTC 2015

Hi Vikas,

I thought the "capability" affected the propagation of the network state
across nodes as well. However, in my environment, where I tried Consul and
ZooKeeper, I observed a new network created in a host is displayed on
another host when I hit "sudo docker network ls" even if I set the
capability to "local", which is the current default. So I'm just wondering
what this capability means. The spec doesn't say much about it.

https://github.com/docker/libnetwork/blob/8d03e80f21c2f21a792efbd49509f487da0d89cc/docs/remote.md#set-capability

I saw your bug report that describes the network state propagation didn't
happen appropriately. I also experienced the issue and I'd say it would be
the configuration issue. Please try with the following option. I'm putting
it in /etc/default/docker and managing the docker daemon through "service"
command.

DOCKER_OPTS="-D -H unix:///var/run/docker.sock -H :2376
--cluster-store=consul://192.168.11.14:8500 --cluster-advertise=
192.168.11.18:2376"

The network is the only user facing entity in libnetwork for now since the
concept of the "service" is abandoned in the stable Docker 1.9.0 release
and it's shared by libnetwork through libkv across multiple hosts. Endpoint
information is stored as a part of the network information as you
documented in the devref and the network is all what we need so far.

https://github.com/openstack/kuryr/blob/d1f4272d6b6339686a7e002f8af93320f5430e43/doc/source/devref/libnetwork_remote_driver_design.rst#libnetwork-user-workflow-with-kuryr-as-remote-network-driver---host-networking

Regarding changing the capability to "global", it totally makes sense and
we should change it despite the networks would be shared among multiple
hosts anyways.

Best regards,
Taku Fukushima