[openstack-dev] [Nova] Migration state machine proposal.

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Thu Nov 5 14:33:37 UTC 2015

On 11/05/15 at 01:28pm, Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) wrote:

>> From: Ed Leafe [mailto:ed at leafe.com]
>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 2:43 AM, Tang Chen <tangchen at cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm sorry that I cannot understand why resize and migrate are the same
>> thing behind.
>>
>> Resize is essentially a migration to the same host, rather than a different
>> host. The process is still taking an existing VM and using it to create another
>> VM that appears to the user as the same (ID, networking, attached volumes,
>> metadata, etc.)
>>

>Or more specifically, the migrate and resize API actions both call the resize
>function in the compute api. As Ed said, they are basically the same behind
>the scenes. (But the API difference is important.)

Can you be a little more specific on what API difference is important to
you?  There are two differences currently between migrate and resize in
the API:

1. There is a different policy check, but this only really protects the
next bit.

2. Resize passes in a new flavor and migration does not.

Both actions result in an instance being scheduled to a new host.  If
they were consolidated into a single action with a policy check to
enforce that users specified a new flavor and admins could leave that
off would that be problematic for you?