[openstack-dev] [all] Outcome of distributed lock manager discussion @ the summit

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 5 11:00:05 UTC 2015

Hayes, Graham wrote:
> On 04/11/15 20:04, Ed Leafe wrote:
>> On Nov 3, 2015, at 6:45 AM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a Devstack review for zookeeper in support of this initiative:
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/241040
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dims
>>
>> I thought that the operators at that session made it very clear that they would *not* run any Java applications, and that if OpenStack required a Java app to run, they would no longer use it.
>>
>> I like the idea of using Zookeeper as the DLM, but I don't think it should be set up as a default, even for devstack, given the vehement opposition expressed.
>>

>> -- Ed Leafe
>>

> I got the impression that there was *some* operators that wouldn't run
> java.
>
> I do not see an issue with having ZooKeeper as the default, as long as
> there is an alternate solution that also works for the operators that do
> not want to use it.

Yes, that is my recollection. We can't make Java mandatory, so we need
to have the *option* to not run any Java (for those people who don't
want to start touching it, for various reasons).

IMHO that doesn't mean ZK cannot be the early default in devstack, or
that we should hold all DLM work until a Consul/etcd driver is
production-ready. It just means we need to have people signed up to
build and maintain a Consul and/or etcd driver :)

NB: I wouldn't mind helping on an etcd driver, that sounds like a fun
side project. I'm just totally unsure I'll have time to do it.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)