[openstack-dev] [kuryr] mutihost networking with nova vm as docker host

Vikas Choudhary choudharyvikas16 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 06:03:19 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I would appreciate inputs on following queries:
1. Are we assuming nova bm nodes to be docker host for now?

If Not:
         - Assuming nova vm as docker host and ovs as networking plugin:
            This line is from the etherpad[1], "Eachdriver would have an
executable that receives the name of the veth pair that has to be bound to
the overlay" .
            Query 1:  As per current ovs binding proposals by Feisky[2] and
Diga[3], vif seems to be binding with br-int on vm. I am unable to
understand how overlay will work. AFAICT , neutron will configure br-tun of
compute machines ovs only. How overlay(br-tun) configuration will happen
inside vm ?

             Query 2: Are we having double encapsulation(both at vm and
compute)? Is not it possible to bind vif into compute host br-int?

             Query3: I did not see subnet tags for network plugin being
passed in any of the binding patches[2][3][4]. Dont we need that?

[1]  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Kuryr_vif_binding_unbinding
[2]  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/241558/
[3]  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/232948/1
[4]  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227972/