[openstack-dev] [kuryr] network control plane (libkv role)

Vikas Choudhary choudharyvikas16 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 05:10:34 UTC 2015

Hi all,

By network control plane i specifically mean here sharing network state
across docker daemons sitting on different hosts/nova_vms in multi-host
networking.

libnetwork provides flexibility where vendors have a choice between network
control plane to be handled by libnetwork(libkv) or remote driver itself
OOB. Vendor can choose to "mute" libnetwork/libkv by advertising remote
driver capability as "local".

"local" is our current default "capability" configuration in kuryr.

I have following queries:
1. Does it mean Kuryr is taking responsibility of sharing network state
across docker daemons? If yes, network created on one docker host should be
visible in "docker network ls" on other hosts. To achieve this, I guess
kuryr driver will need help of some distributed data-store like consul etc.
so that kuryr driver on other hosts could create network in docker on other
hosts. Is this correct?

2. Why we cannot  set default scope as "Global" and let libkv do the
network state sync work?

Thoughts?

Regards
-Vikas Choudhary