[openstack-dev] [all] Outcome of distributed lock manager discussion @ the summit

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Nov 4 22:32:42 UTC 2015

To clarify that statement a little more,

Speaking only for myself as an op, I don't want to support yet one more snowflake in a sea of snowflakes, that works differently then all the rest, without a very good reason.

Java has its own set of issues associated with the JVM. Care, and feeding sorts of things. If we are to invest time/money/people in learning how to properly maintain it, its easier to justify if its not just a one off for just DLM,

So I wouldn't go so far as to say we're vehemently opposed to java, just that DLM on its own is probably not a strong enough feature all on its own to justify requiring pulling in java. Its been only a very recent thing that you could convince folks that DLM was needed at all. So either make java optional, or find some other use cases that needs java badly enough that you can make java a required component. I suspect some day searchlight might be compelling enough for that, but not today.

As for the default, the default should be good reference. if most sites would run with etc or something else since java isn't needed, then don't default zookeeper on.

Thanks,
Kevin