[openstack-dev] [telemetry][ceilometer][aodh][gnocchi] Tokyo summit roundup

gord chung gord at live.ca
Wed Nov 4 21:25:49 UTC 2015

hi folks,

i want to start off by thanking everyone for joining the telemetry
related discussions at the Tokyo summit -- we got some great feedback
and ideas. similar to the last summit, here's a rundown of items that we
talked about[1] and will be tracking in the upcoming cycle. as before,
this is a (chaotic) brain dump and does not necessarily reflect any

note: the following is split into different sections, each representing
a service provided under the telemetry umbrella. these projects are
discretely managed but with tight collaboration.

-- Aodh (alarming service) --

- client - since we split alarming functionality from Ceilometer into
it's own unique service[2], aodhclient support will be added so
ceilometerclient functionality does not become overloaded with unrelated
alarming code.
- user interface - to improve usability, support for CRUD operations of
alarms will be added to horizon [3]
- horizontal scaling - the existing event alarm support added in
Liberty[4] handles a single evaluator. multiple worker support will be
added to enable better scaling
- simplifying combination alarm - combination alarms allowed flexibility
of reusing threshold alarms but limited the use case to AND conditions
and added evaluation ordering complexity. these drawbacks will be
addressed by a new composite alarm [5]
- testing - tempest and grenade plugin testing support to be added in
addition to existing unit/functional tests

-- Ceilometer (data collection service) --

- example reference architecture - to improve the consumption of
Ceilometer, performance study will be done to build reference
architecture. additional example configurations will be added to enable
easier entry based on use case.
- housekeeping - alarming and rpc functionality were deprecated in
Kilo/Liberty[6]. to ensure a tidy code base, it's time to clean house or
as some devs like to put it: burn it down.[*]
- rolling upgrades - document the process of upgrading
- refined polling - the polling agent(s) now exclusively poll data and
defer processing to notification agent(s). because of this, we can
create a more tailored polling and pipeline configuration experience.
- improved polling distribution - currently, the cache is shared within
a process. to better enable task distribution, we should enable sharing
the cache across processes.
- polling metadata caching - we improved the caching mechanism in
Liberty to minimise the load caused by Ceilometer polling. further
improvements can be made to minimise the number of calls in general.[7]
- resource caching - to improve write speed, a cache will be implemented
in the collector to minimise unnecessary writes[8]
- batch db writing - to minimise writes, batched writing of data will be
added to collector[9]
- componentisation part 2 - Ceilometer handles meters[10] and
events[11]. we need to make it pluggable to offer better flexibility.
- testing - tempest and grenade plugin testing support to be added in
addition to existing unit/functional tests. additionally, multi-node
testing to test upgrade path.

-- Gnocchi (time-series database and resource indexing service) --

- metric archive sharding - to improve performance of very large data
sets (ie. second-by-second granularity), we can split the archive when
updating data to avoid transferring entire archive set.
- dynamic resource creation - currently to create a new resource type, a
new model and migration needs to be added. we need to make this creation
dynamic to allow for more resource types.
- proliferate gnocchiclient adoption - gnocchiclient is now available.
to ensure consistent usage, it should be adopted in Ceilometer and Aodh.
- testing - tempest and grenade plugin testing support to be added in
addition to existing unit/functional tests

you can sign up for work items on the etherpad[12]. as always, you're
more than welcome to propose addition ideas on irc:#openstack-ceilometer
(to be #openstack-telemetry) and to openstack-dev using
[telemetry]/[ceilometer]/[aodh]/[gnocchi] in subject.

as always we will continue to work with externally managed projects[13].

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/208786/
[7] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/209799/
[8] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/203109/
[9] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/234831/