[openstack-dev] [all] Outcome of distributed lock manager discussion @ the summit

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Nov 4 21:14:53 UTC 2015

On 11/04/2015 04:09 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Graham,
>
> Agree. Hence the Tooz as the abstraction layer. Folks are welcome to
> write new drivers or fix existing drivers for Tooz where needed.

Yes. This is correct. We cannot grow a hard depend on a Java thing, but
optional depends are ok - and it turns out the semantics needed from
DLMs and DKVSs are sufficiently abstractable for it to make sense.

That said - the only usable tooz backend at the moment is zookeeper - so
someone who cares about the not-Java use case will have to step up and
write a consul backend. The main thing is that we allow that to happen
and don't do things that would prevent such a thing from being written.

Reasons for making ZK the default are:

- It exists in tooz today
- It's easily installable in all the distros
- It has devstack support already

None of those three are true of consul, although none are terribly hard
to achieve.