[openstack-dev] [all] Outcome of distributed lock manager discussion @ the summit

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:57:53 UTC 2015

Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2015, at 6:45 AM, Davanum Srinivas<davanum at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Here's a Devstack review for zookeeper in support of this initiative:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/241040
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dims
>
> I thought that the operators at that session made it very clear that they would *not* run any Java applications, and that if OpenStack required a Java app to run, they would no longer use it.
>
> I like the idea of using Zookeeper as the DLM, but I don't think it should be set up as a default, even for devstack, given the vehement opposition expressed.

What should be the default then?

As for 'vehement opposition' I didn't see that as being there, I saw a
small set of people say 'I don't want to run java or I can't run java',
some comments about requiring using oracles JVM (which isn't correct,
OpenJDK works for folks that I have asked in the zookeeper community and
else where) and the rest of the folks were ok with it...

If people want a alternate driver, propose it IMHO...