[openstack-dev] [all][api][tc][perfromance] API for getting only status of resources

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 4 18:56:35 UTC 2015

On 5 November 2015 at 04:42, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> On 11/04/2015 10:13 AM, John Garbutt wrote:

> I think longer term we probably need a dedicated event service in
> OpenStack. A few of us actually had an informal conversation about this
> during the Nova notifications session to figure out if there was a way
> to optimize the Searchlight path. Nearly everyone wants websockets,
> which is good. The problem is, that means you've got to anticipate
> 10,000+ open websockets as soon as we expose this. Which means the stack
> to deliver that sanely isn't just a bit of python code, it's also the
> highly optimized server underneath.

So any decent epoll implementation should let us hit that without a
super optimised server - eventlet being in that category. I totally
get that we're going to expect thundering herds, but websockets isn't
new and the stacks we have - apache, eventlet - have been around long
enough to adjust to the rather different scaling pattern.

So - lets not panic, get a proof of concept up somewhere and then run
an actual baseline test. If thats shockingly bad *then* lets panic.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist