[openstack-dev] [neutron][qos][fwaas] service groups vs. traffic classifiers

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Tue Nov 3 18:03:17 UTC 2015

Hi Ihar,

This sounds good. I actually had a draft e-mail that I've been saving
until I got back, that may be relevant. Some contributors met on Friday
to discuss the packet classification framework, mostly centered around
just building a reusable library that can be shared among multiple
services.

It was my view that just getting the different APIs to share a common
data model would be a big first step, since we can refactor a lot of
common internal data structures without any user facing API changes.

I quickly went back to my hotel room on Friday (after stealing some red bulls from the
dev lounge) to start hacking on a shared library for packet
classification, that can be re-used by other projects.

At this point, the code is mostly SQLAlchemy models, but the objective is to
try and see if the models are actually useful, and can be re-used by multiple services.

On the FwaaS side I plan on proving out the models by attempting to
replace some of the FwaaS database models with models from the
common-classifier. I also plan on putting together some simple tests to
see if it can also handle classifiers for security groups in the future,
since there has already been some ideas about creating a common backend
for both FwaaS and the Security Group implementation.

Anyway, the code is currently up on GitHub - I just threw it on there
because I wanted to scratch my hacking itch quickly.

https://github.com/sc68cal/neutron-classifier

Hopefully this can help spur more discussion.

--
Sean M. Collins