[openstack-dev] [neutron][stable] should we open gate for per sub-project stable-maint teams?

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Tue Nov 3 17:09:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> currently we have a single neutron-wide stable-maint gerrit group that
> maintains all stable branches for all stadium subprojects. I believe
> that in lots of cases it would be better to have subproject members to
> run their own stable maintenance programs, leaving
> neutron-stable-maint folks to help them in non-obvious cases, and to
> periodically validate that project wide stable policies are still honore
> d.
>
> I suggest we open gate to creating subproject stable-maint teams where
> current neutron-stable-maint members feel those subprojects are ready
> for that and can be trusted to apply stable branch policies in
> consistent way.
>
> Note that I don't suggest we grant those new permissions completely
> automatically. If neutron-stable-maint team does not feel safe to give
> out those permissions to some stable branches, their feeling should be
> respected.
>
> I believe it will be beneficial both for subprojects that would be
> able to iterate on backports in more efficient way; as well as for
> neutron-stable-maint members who are often busy with other stuff, and
> often times are not the best candidates to validate technical validity
> of backports in random stadium projects anyway. It would also be in
> line with general 'open by default' attitude we seem to embrace in
> Neutron.
>
> If we decide it's the way to go, there are alternatives on how we
> implement it. For example, we can grant those subproject teams all
> permissions to merge patches; or we can leave +W votes to
> neutron-stable-maint group.
>
> I vote for opening the gates, *and* for granting +W votes where
> projects showed reasonable quality of proposed backports before; and
> leaving +W to neutron-stable-maint in those rare cases where history
> showed backports could get more attention and safety considerations
> [with expectation that those subprojects will eventually own +W votes
> as well, once quality concerns are cleared].
>
> If we indeed decide to bootstrap subproject stable-maint teams, I
> volunteer to reach the candidate teams for them to decide on initial
> lists of stable-maint members, and walk them thru stable policies.
>
> Comments?

As someone who spends a considerable amount of time reviewing stable
backports on a regular basis across all the sub-projects, I'm in favor of
this approach. I'd like to be included when selecting teams which are
approproate to have their own stable teams as well. Please include me when
doing that.

Thanks,
Kyle