[openstack-dev] [cinder] Specifications to support High Availability Active-Active configurations in Cinder

Dulko, Michal michal.dulko at intel.com
Tue Nov 3 07:58:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-10-20 at 20:17 +0200, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We finally have ready for review all specifications required to support
> High Availability Active/Active configurations in Cinder's Volume nodes.
>
> There is a Blueprint to track this effort [1] and the specs are as follow:
>
> - General description of the issues and solutions [2]
> - Removal of Races on API nodes [3]
> - Job distribution to clusters [4]
> - Cleanup process of crashed nodes [5]
> - Data corruption prevention [6]
> - Removing local file locks from the manager [7]
> - Removing local file locks from drivers [8]
>
> (snip)
>
> [1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/cinder-volume-active-active-support
> [2]: https://review.openstack.org/232599
> [3]: https://review.openstack.org/207101
> [4]: https://review.openstack.org/232595
> [5]: https://review.openstack.org/236977
> [6]: https://review.openstack.org/237076
> [7]: https://review.openstack.org/237602
> [8]: https://review.openstack.org/237604

I just want to give a heads up that during the Summit we've discussed
this topic and specs will be modified to reflect decisions made there.
General notes from the sessions can be found in [1], [2]. Main points
are that on DLM session [3] it was decided that projects can hard depend
on DLM - which may make things easier for us. Also we want to disable
automatic cleanup of stale resources in the first version of c-vol A/A,
because such implementation should be simpler and safer.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-cinder-cvol-aa
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-cinder-volmgr-locks
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-cross-project-dlm