[openstack-dev] [glance] tasks (following "proposed priorities for Mitaka")

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 19:49:37 UTC 2015

On 09/14/2015 02:41 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 09/14/2015 04:58 PM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
>> I'm not saying that there's no other way to do this -- e.g., you could do
>> all sorts of alternative workflows and configurations in the "regular"
>> upload process -- but the feedback I got can be summarized like this:
>> Given the importance of a properly-functioning Glance for normal cloud
>> operations, it is useful to have one upload/download workflow that is
>> locked down and you don't have to worry about, and a completely different
>> workflow that you can expose to end users and tinker with as necessary.
>
> IMHO - a cloud that does not allow me to upload images is not a usable
> cloud.
>
> A cloud that requires me to upload images differently than another cloud
> is a hardship on the users.
>
> A cloud that makes the user know the image format of the cloud is a
> hardship on the users, especially when there exist nowhere in any
> existing distro tools that can actually produce the image format in
> question. (yup, Im just going to sneak that one in there)
>
> NOW - I think that the task api and the image conversion tools itself if
> it's a behind the scenes kind of thing is potentially nice thing.
>
> If "glance import-from http://example.com/my-image.qcow2' always worked,
> and in the back end generated a task with the task workflow, and one of
> the task workflows that a deployer could implement was one to do
> conversions to the image format of the cloud provider's choice, that
> would be teh-awesome. It's still a bit annoying to me that I, as a user,
> need to come up with a place to put the image so that it can be
> imported, but honestly, I'll take it. It's not _that_ hard of a problem.

I predicted the above problems with the tasks API as it was designed way
back in 2013 and urged it be redesigned:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-May/009400.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-May/009527.html

with a followup here:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/019028.html

where I actually agreed with George Reese about something...

Guess I should have been more vocal.

Best,
-jay