[openstack-dev] [tc] [watcher] New project: Watcher

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 2 14:19:28 UTC 2015

Joe Cropper wrote:

>> On Nov 2, 2015, at 4:50 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>>
>> Antoine CABOT wrote:
>>> We are pleased to introduce Watcher, a new project in the OpenStack
>>> ecosystem. We believe that a "resource optimization" service in an
>>> OpenStack-based cloud is a crucial component that has been missing to
>>> date and we have started working towards filling that gap.
>>>
>>> OpenStack Watcher provides a flexible and scalable resource
>>> optimization service for multi-tenant OpenStack-based clouds.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Please note that this project is not an official OpenStack project yet.
>> In particular, it's not been approved by the Technical Committee to join
>> the "big tent" yet, and it was actually never proposed there.
>>
>> If you intend to propose this new project for inclusion, please propose
>> an openstack/governance change to that effect. You can find the current
>> project requirements at:
>>
>> http://governance.openstack.org/reference/new-projects-requirements.html
>>
>> In the mean time, please refrain from calling your project "OpenStack
>> Watcher". Thanks in advance!
>
> No problem, Thierry!  Our apologies for the terminology hiccup.  We do intent to propose it as part of the “big tent” in the coming months—the project’s wiki and source code repository were just recently configured on openstack.org and we’re actively working on the checklist of items you referenced.  :-)

Sounds good! We'll likely require a bit of activity before we can judge
the inclusion anyway (that is the only way for us to judge if you're
following the OpenStack way). It's perfectly fine (and even encouraged)
to be hosted on openstack infrastructure for the time being :) I was
just adding a bit of clarification since using "OpenStack Watcher" in
the original post could have been seen as some official endorsement.

Another pointer you might be interested in: the Project Team Guide gives
a lot of information about the OpenStack way of doing things for
official Project Teams:

http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/

Regards,

--