[openstack-dev] [new][app-catalog] App Catalog next steps

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Fri May 29 23:39:26 UTC 2015

I think the next logical step is to add versioning and predefined tags so
we can distinguish application versions and application status. Right now
the catalog has just information about application without any strict
schema enforced.

The separate problem is to how this information should be handled by
OpenStack services. Potentially it should be done by Artifact repository
during the import phase. It will be nice to meet with Glance team and
discuss this so we can draft this import process land something in L
release.

Thanks
Gosha

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Christopher Aedo <caedo at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:
> > As an Op, I really
> > really want to replace one image with a new one atomically with security
> > updates preapplied. Think shellshock, ghost, etc. It will be basically be
> > the same exact image as before, but patched.
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Georgy Okrokvertskhov
> <gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com> wrote:
> > I believe that current app store approach uses only image name rather
> then
> > ID. So you can replace image with a new one without affecting application
> > definitions.
>
> In my opinion this is a pretty serious shortcoming with the app
> catalog as it stands right now.  There's no concept of versions for
> catalog assets, only whatever is put in with the asset name.  It's not
> obvious when the binary component of an asset has been replaced for
> instance.  Maybe the latest one has the security updates applied,
> maybe it doesn't?  If you are watching the repo you might catch it,
> but that's not very use friendly.  We are also unable to account for
> duplicate names currently (i.e. no protection against having two
> identically named glance images).
>
> I think the easiest way to handle at least the versions is by
> including additional information in the metadata.  If we eventually
> switch to using the artifacts implementation in glance, I think some
> of this is resolved, but a switch like that is a long way off.  Any
> thoughts on what we could do in the near term?
>
> -Christopher

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Architect,
OpenStack Platform Products,