[openstack-dev] [neutron] The new Lieutenant system in Neutron

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 21:21:53 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Kyle Mestery <mestery at mestery.com> wrote:

> As part of the team's continuing effort to scale development in Neutron,
> we have officially merged the Lieutenant patch [1]. As the codebase
> continues to grow, this is an attempt to scale the code review load so we
> can grow new core reviewers while maintaining the model of trust required
> to successfully run the project. Please note we've selected some initial
> horizontal Lieutenant positions (you can see them here [2]). This could
> change as we experiment with things, but for now we've tried to select
> areas which make the most sense immediately.
>
> Thanks to all who contributed feedback on the patchset which enabled this.
> As with everything, we'll experiment and reevaluate where things are
> throughout Liberty and do a postmortem at the next Summit to understand if
> we need to adopt the model.

Great job, I look forward to seeing this model adopted elsewhere.

This sounds a lot like another large scale project we all know of

".... has long since grown to a size where no single
developer could possibly inspect and select every patch unassisted.  The
way the ... developers have addressed this growth is through the use of
a lieutenant system built around a chain of trust.

The ... code base is logically broken down into a set of subsystems:
...  Most subsystems have a designated maintainer, a developer
who has overall responsibility for the code within that subsystem.  These
subsystem maintainers are the gatekeepers (in a loose way) for the portion
of the .... they manage."

I wonder if we can adopt the rolling development model as well?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/development-process/2.Process