[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri May 29 16:30:59 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-29 16:30:12 +0100 (+0100), Dave Walker wrote:
> This is generally my opinion as-well, I always hoped that *every*
> commit would be considered a release rather than an arbitrary
> tagged date.
[...]

If we switch away from lockstep major/minor release versioning
anyway (again separate discussion underway but seems a distinct
possibility) then I think the confusion over why stable point
releases are mismatched becomes less of an issue. At that point we
may want to reconsider and actually tag each of them with a
sequential micro (patch in semver terminology) version bump. Could
help in communication around security fixes in particular.

> I also wondered if it might make sense for us to do a better job of
> storing metadata of what the shasums of projects used to pass gate for
> a given commit - as this might be both useful as a "known good state"
> but also, slightly unrelated, might be helpful in debugging gate
> blockages in the future.

I think if we get stable branches back into the openstack/openstack
pseudo-repo it might help in this regard. Also Robert's plan for
requirements revamp should make it easier for us to keep track of
what versions of which dependencies were used when testing these.
--
Jeremy Stanley