[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [TC] Discussion: changing Ironic's release model

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Fri May 29 16:18:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 05/28/2015 06:41 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > tl;dr;
> >
> > At the summit, the Ironic team discussed the challenges we've had with
> > the current release model and came up with some ideas to address them.
> > I had a brief follow-up conversation with Doug and Thierry, but I'd
> > like this to be discussed more openly and for us (the Ironic dev
> > community) to agree on a clear plan before we take action.
> >
> > If Ironic moves to a release:independent model, it shouldn't have any
> > direct effect on other projects we integrate with -- we will continue
> > to follow release:at-6mo-cycle-end -- but our processes for how we get
> > there would be different, and that will have an effect on the larger
> > community.
>
> Just a quick follow-up to voice the Distro's opinion (I'm sure other
> package maintainers will agree with what I'm going to write).
>
> It's fine if you use whatever release schedule that you want. Though
> what's important for us, downstream distro, is that you make sure to
> release a longer term version at the same time as everything else, and
> that you make sure security follow-up is done properly. It's really
> important that you clearly identify the versions for which you will do
> security patch backports, so that we don't (by mistake) release a stable
> version of a given distribution with a something you wont ever give long
> term support for.

The only way I know of to get this information now is to look in the git
repos, so for example for keystoneclient I can find the security-supported
releases are
0.11 (icehouse) --
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-keystoneclient/log/?h=stable/icehouse
1.1 (juno)
1.3 (kilo)

The rest (for example, 1.2) are not supported.

The place I would expect to find this information is here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Releases

tschüß -- Brant