[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

David Medberry openstack at medberry.net
Fri May 29 15:00:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> If you were a consumer of those and will miss them, please explain why.
> In particular, please let us know how consuming that version (which was
> only made available every n months) is significantly better than picking
> your preferred time and get all the current stable branch HEADs at that
> time.

If vendor packages are used (as many folks do) they will need to weigh in
before operators can really give valid feedback.
I've already heard from one vendor that they will continue to do
"point-like" releases that they will support, but we probably need a more
complete answer.

Another issue, operators pulling from stable will just need to do a bit
more diligence themselves (and this is probably appropriate.) One thing we
will do in this diligence is something of tracking rate of new bugs and
looking for windows of opportunity where there may be semi-quiescence.

The other issue I'm aware of is that there will essentially be no "syncing"
across projects (except by the vendors). Operators using upstream will need
to do a better job (ie, more burden) in making sure all of the packages
work together.)