[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [TC] Discussion: changing Ironic's release model

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri May 29 13:11:25 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 06:41 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> tl;dr;
>
> At the summit, the Ironic team discussed the challenges we've had with
> the current release model and came up with some ideas to address them.
> I had a brief follow-up conversation with Doug and Thierry, but I'd
> like this to be discussed more openly and for us (the Ironic dev
> community) to agree on a clear plan before we take action.
>
> If Ironic moves to a release:independent model, it shouldn't have any
> direct effect on other projects we integrate with -- we will continue
> to follow release:at-6mo-cycle-end -- but our processes for how we get
> there would be different, and that will have an effect on the larger
> community.

Just a quick follow-up to voice the Distro's opinion (I'm sure other
package maintainers will agree with what I'm going to write).

It's fine if you use whatever release schedule that you want. Though
what's important for us, downstream distro, is that you make sure to
release a longer term version at the same time as everything else, and
that you make sure security follow-up is done properly. It's really
important that you clearly identify the versions for which you will do
security patch backports, so that we don't (by mistake) release a stable
version of a given distribution with a something you wont ever give long
term support for.

I'm sure you guys know that already, but better be safe than sorry, and
other less experience projects may find the above useful.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)