[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Puppet] Package updates strategy

Jan Provazník jprovazn at redhat.com
Fri May 29 08:41:27 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 08:24 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 28/05/15 03:35, Jan Provaznik wrote:

>>> My only concern with this approach is how do we collect and maintain the
>>> excludes list. Other than that it sounds reasonable.
>>
>> Why not swap the order? First run puppet using ensure=>latest which
>> updates/restarts everything Openstack depends on, then run yum/apt
>> update to update any remaining bits. You wouldn't need exclude list then.
>
> Will ensure=>latest update all packages that the given one is dependent
> on, even if it doesn't require new versions? I assumed that it wouldn't,
> so by doing Puppet first we would just ensure that we are even less
> likely to pick up library changes by restarting services after the
> libraries are updated.

We could take advantage of this only when both a service and a
dependency library are part of the upgrade. Other services depending on
the lib would have to be restarted out-of-puppet in post yum-update
phase anyway. I wonder if it is worth to try generate list of exclude
packages (to be able to run yum first) given quite limited benefit it
provides, but if it's simple enough then +1 :).