[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu May 28 21:19:36 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 09:58 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> Not sure I'm a fan of rdorpm, seems too specific to RDO and would not
> foster other people using the git repo for packaging. Personally, I
> simple say rpm- prefix, allowing for branches to be used for distro
> specific changes.

I full agree with that.

>>    5. Add deb support to delorean, I know of at least one person who has
>> already explored this (steve cc'd), if delorean is too far off the path
>> of what we want to achieve and there is a better tool then I'm open to
>> change.
>>
> Personally, I'm a fan of mock. Is there plan to add support for it?

It is my understanding that the approach of mock is more like the one of
sbuild, which basically is to maintain a chroot template which is
duplicated before the build, then trashed after it, without added layer
like Docker.

What back-end does mock support? AUFS? LVM snapshot? tmpfs?

> Also, currently containers are not being used in -infra.  Not saying it
> is a show stopper, but could see some initial planning that is required
> for it.

Yup, exactly my thinking. Adding a docker container within a VM just
because that's what the build tool uses seems like a not-needed layer.

By the way, I was thinking about the sbuild package caching system, and
thought: how about network mounting /var/cache/pbuilder/aptcache using
something like Manila (or any other distributed filesystem)? Does infra
have such tooling in place? What would be the distributed filesystem of
choice in such a case?

Also, could we setup approx somewhere? Or do we have Debian and Ubuntu
mirrors available within infra?

Maybe mirrors would be the best choice here if we have enough resources
for it. FYI, only amd64 arch would take about 120GB, with a reasonable
amount of daily downloads for updating Sid (ie: with all arch, the daily
downloads are about 6 GB, but with amd64, this should drop
significantly). These were stats that I read a year or 2 ago, though I
don't think it has changed much over time. Thoughts about this anyone?

Thomas Goirand (zigo)