[openstack-dev] [heat] Heat Template Cookbook

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Thu May 28 21:07:18 UTC 2015

On 29/05/15 04:10, D'ANDREA, JOE (JOE) wrote:
> [This was originally posted to openstack at lists.openstack.org by accident. Reposting it to openstack-dev.]
>
> Calling all Heat neophytes, aficionados, and everyone in between ...
>
> I've often thought it would be helpful to add a Heat Template Cookbook to the developer documentation.
>
> Like any helping friendly cookbook, it would contain a variety of annotated recipes/templates. Ultimately, it would seek to cover use case scenarios for every possible ingredient/resource out there.
>
> I've volunteered to curate and author this cookbook, alongside the HOT Guide.

This sounds great!

Cookbook-style content was how I originally conceived the HOT section of
the OpenStack User Guide[2].  Whether the HOT Guide stays in the User
Guide or moves back to heat developer docs it would be good to use this
content as the starting point.

[2] http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/hot-guide/hot.html

> To help get things started, I'm seeking template contributions that:
>
> * Are simple and illustrate basic concepts.
> * Are more intermediate and build on basic concepts.
> * Are more advanced and demonstrate more complex orchestration.
> * Solve a common problem or answer a frequently asked template question.
>
> Repository links welcomed!
>
> I also seek:
>
> * Wish lists. "I wish there was a template that ..."
> * Questions. "How do I ... ?" "Can I ... ?"
>
> For those wondering about the heat-templates github repo[1], yes, I'll be plundering the vaults. ;)
>
> Questions/contributions most welcomed. Simply reply to this message. (Once the doc repository is ready, we'll also gladly accept contributions through proposed patches to the docs.)
>
> IMPORTANT: Please post *links* (to gists, repos, pastes, etc.) instead of attachments or embedded items.

I think the main areas of focus should be networking patterns,
clustering/groups and software config. For the latter there is a decent
start in the HOT Guide[3]

[3]
http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/hot-guide/hot_software_deployment.html