[openstack-dev] [Manila] [Cinder] About how to hide the dummy destination record during migration

Rodrigo Barbieri rodrigo.barbieri2010 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:14:14 UTC 2015

For Share Migration, I am looking into integrating it with "Private Driver
Storage" as Valeriy mentioned. The purpose is in fact different than not
displaying the volume being migrated to the user, we are attempting to not
use a temporary DB entry at all. I am not sure how this will play out,
especially when doing clean up error state, which is a very important part
of migration.

>>> rodrigo.barbieri2010 at gamil.com
>>> Subject
>>> Re: [openstack-dev] [Manila] About how to hide the dummy destination
>>> record during migration
>>>

>>> Hello Vincent Hou,
>>>
>>> We, Manila folks, are about to merge one of new features - "private
>>> driver storage" [1]. That is going to serve for not-user facing data
>>> storage related to any resource that can be reached by both - API and share
>>> driver.
>>>
>>> And in case of share migration, it will be possible to avoid creation of
>>> "temporary share" DB record and use this data storage for storing all
>>> required data per each share.
>>>
>>> Please, look at it, and provide feedback, whether such approach can be
>>> used in your case or not and why.
>>>
>>> [1] - *https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176877/*
>>> <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176877/>
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Valeriy Ponomaryov
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Sheng Bo Hou <*sbhou at cn.ibm.com*
>>> <sbhou at cn.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone working for Manila,
>>>
>>> This is Vincent Hou from IBM. I am working on all the migration issues
>>> in Cinder.
>>>
>>> I had one session for the Cinder migration issue in Vancouver and some
>>> of you folks attended it. The etherpad link is
>>> *https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/volume-migration-improvement*
>>> <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/volume-migration-improvement>
>>> Per the issue that we had better not let the user see the target volume
>>> during migration when issuing command "cinder list", we can add an
>>> additional flag into the volume table, for example, "hidden", into it. The
>>> default value is 0, meaning that it will display for "cinder list". For the
>>> target volume during migration. We can set it to 1, so the user will not be
>>> able to see it with the command "cinder list". I think it is a
>>> straightforward approach we can go with. I just sync up with you folks, so
>>> that we can have a consistent way to resolve this issue in both Cinder and
>>> Manila. I just need to make sure we are on the same page. Is this solution
>>> OK with you folks? Especially @Rodrigo Barbieri and @Erlon Cruz, etc.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Vincent Hou (侯胜博)
>>>
>>> Staff Software Engineer, Open Standards and Open Source Team, Emerging
>>> Technology Institute, IBM China Software Development Lab
>>>
>>> Tel: 86-10-82450778 Fax: 86-10-82453660
>>> Notes ID: Sheng Bo Hou/China/IBM at IBMCN    E-mail: *sbhou at cn.ibm.com*
>>> <sbhou at cn.ibm.com>
>>> Address:3F Ring, Building 28 Zhongguancun Software Park, 8 Dongbeiwang
>>> West Road, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
>>> 地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号中关村软件园28号楼环宇大厦3层 邮编:100193

> --
> Duncan Thomas

Rodrigo Barbieri
Computer Scientist