[openstack-dev] [Javascript] Summit Conversation Continued

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:45:20 UTC 2015

Hey everyone!

We had an _excellent_ discussion in Vancouver, but with only 40 minutes to
discuss things we didn't reach consensus on many topics that we really
needed to hash out. In order to make sure that the rest of this list is
addressed, I'm including a summary of the discussion here and will be
raising each new item for discussion.

To preface this conversation, assume that you are a slightly schizophrenic
engineer named Pat, who has been told be the Powers That Be to implement an
Ironic UI. The requirements are listed here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/modern-javascript-vancouver-requirements-2015

Decisions made so far:

   - *Language: ECMA5 Javascript* (disqualified were ECMA6, Coffeescript,
   Typescript).
   - *Styling Language: SASS/SCSS* (Disqualified were LESS, raw CSS)
   - *What platform do we target: Browser* (Disqualified was Node.js,
   and/or both)
   - *What platform do we test against: Firefox, Chromium, PhantomJS*
   (Note: Let's talk to Microsoft to see if they're willing to help with 3rd
   party testing)
   - *What testing libraries do we use: Jasmine.* (Disqualified were QUnit,
   YUITest, Mocha)
   - *What test runner do we use: UNDECIDED*
   - *What unit test output do we generate: HTML is fine, subunit
   preferred.*
   - *What coverage requirements do we target: 100%*
   - *How do we test UX Changes: Gate-based ui drafts.*
   - *How do we build Documentation: Sphinx* (Disqualified were ngDoc,
   jsDoc).

The next discussion point is that of "What parts of this app are reusable",
and it's the first that goes into application design (which is why we never
got to it at the summit). Its purpose is to determine where a sane split
might be between common not-openstack things, common openstack things,
common ironic things, and specific ironic UI things.

So, Pat: What parts of your application are reusable?

Michael