[openstack-dev] [neutron] [fwaas] - Collecting use cases for API improvements

Eichberger, German german.eichberger at hp.com
Wed May 27 22:36:47 UTC 2015

All,

During the FWaaS session in Vancouver [1] it became apparent that both the FWaaS API and the Security Groups API are lacking in functionality and the connection between the two is not well defined.

For instance if a cloud user opens up all ports in the security groups they still can’t connect and might figure out days later that there is a second API (FWaaS) which prevents him from connecting to his service. This will probably make for a frustrating experience.

Similarly, the operators I spoke to all said that the current FWaaS implementation isn’t going far enough and needs a lot of missing functionality added to fulfill their requirements on a Firewall implementation.

With that backdrop I am proposing to take a step back and assemble a group of operators and users to collect use cases for the firewall service – both FWaaS and Security Groups based. I believe it is important at this juncture to really focus on the users and less on technical limitations. I also think this reset is necessary to make a service which meets the needs of operators and users better.

Once we have collected the use cases we can evaluate our current API’s and functionality and start making the necessary improvements to turn FWaaS into a service which covers most of the use cases and requirements.

Please join me in this effort. We have set up an etherpad [2] to start collecting the use cases and will discuss them in an upcoming meeting.

Thanks,

German

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-neutron-sg-fwaas-future-direction

[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/fwaas_use_cases