[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][all] Scalable metering

joehuang joehuang at huawei.com
Wed May 27 01:59:10 UTC 2015

Hello,

My idea for Ceilometer scaling is to partition Ceilometer based on project ID  ( Sorry I am newbie to Ceilometer, correct me if I am wrong ).

Why?

1. Each tenant only cares about the metering data/event/alarm for himself, doesn't cares who else is also using the ceilometers. Project ID could be the orthogonal partition factor for all data stored/evaluated in Ceilometer. That means we don't need to store all projects' data into a same huge storage system, multiple storage backend for different project set can be used in Ceilometer. One front routing layer (based on project ID) can be added before data stored into or retrieved from Ceilometer storage.

2. Polling/collect data on demand. Only if the data has been asked by the tenant, then metering and sampling data will be collected. A tenant is not allowed to use all meter by default, meters/samples could be configured and billing-able. One project ID often has limited corresponding resources, and tenant need to pay for advanced functionality provided by Ceilometer ( how often, how much ). After partition, more physical resource could be allocated to serve some project, but the project must pay more for extra physical resources used.

Best Regards
Chaoyi Huang ( Joe Huang )