[openstack-dev] [Horizon] dashboard-app split in horizon

David Lyle dklyle0 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 16:29:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As a follow-up to this [in the misguided hope that anyone will actually
> read this conversation with myself ;-)] I've started looking at the
> base.html split. At the summit last week, we agreed to:
>
> 1. move base.html over from the framework to the dashboard, and
> 2. move the _conf.html and _scripts.html over as well, since they
> configure the application (dashboard).
>
> Upon starting the work it occurs to me that all of the other files
> referenced by base.html should also move. So, here's the complete list of
> base.html components and whether they should move over in my opinion:
>
> - horizon/_custom_meta.html
>   Yep, is an empty file in horizon, intended as an extension point in
> dashboard. The empty file (plus an added comment) should move.
>   - horizon/_stylesheets.html
>   Is just a dummy in horizon anyway, should move.
> - horizon/_conf.html
>   Yep, should move.
> - horizon/client_side/_script_loader.html
>   Looks to be a framework component not intended for override, so we
> should leave it there.
> - horizon/_custom_head_js.html
>   Yep, is an empty file in horizon, intended as an extension point in
> dashboard. Move, with a comment added.
> - horizon/_header.html
>   There is a basic implementation in framework but the real (used)
> implementation is in dashboard, so should move.
> - horizon/_messages.html
>   This is a framework component, so I think should stay there. I'm not
> sure whether anyone would ever wish to override this. Also the bulk of it
> is probably going to be replaced by the <toast> implementation anyway...
> hmm...
> - horizon/common/_sidebar.html
>   This is an overridable component that I think should move.
> - horizon/common/_page_header.html
>   This is an overridable component that I think should move.
> - horizon/_scripts.html
>   Yep, should move.
>
> Thoughts, anyone who has read this far?
>

>     Richard
>

> On Sat, 23 May 2015 at 11:46 Richard Jones <r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As part of the ongoing Horizon project code reorganisation, we today
>> agreed to clean up the Horizon-the-Framework and OpenStack Dashboard
>> separation issue by doing a couple of things:
>>
>> 1. nuke (the recently-created) horizon dashboard-app by moving the
>> angular app over to dashboard and the other contents to appropriate places
>> (mostly under the heading of "tech-debt" :)
>> 2. move base.html, _conf.html and _scripts.html from horizon over to
>> dashboard.
>>
>> Thanks to Cindy, Sean and Thai for the pair (er triple?) programming
>> keeping me honest today.
>>
>> The first step is done and captured in several linked patches based off
>> your leaf patch "ngReorg - Create dashboard-app" <
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/184597/> (yes, I am nuking the thing
>> created by your patch).

> [...]
This all sounds reasonable to me. We have better extension mechanisms than
in the past so direct reuse of the horizon toolkit part is not necessary
and we have little interest in maintaining the horizon toolkit as a
generally reusable toolkit now. Moving the application pieces into
openstack_dashboard (the actual application) makes sense.

David