[openstack-dev] [Nova] Using depends-on for patches which require an approved spec

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 26 15:45:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 02:57:23PM -0700, Michael Still wrote:
> Hey,
>
> it would be cool if devs posting changes for nova which depend on us
> approving their spec could use Depends-On to make sure their code
> doesn't land until the spec does.

Does it actually bring any benefit ?  Any change for which there is
a spec is already supposed to be tagged with 'Blueprint: foo-bar-wiz'
and nova core devs are supposed to check the blueprint is approved
before +A'ing it.  So also adding a Depends-on just feels redundant
to me, and so is one more hurdle for contributors to remember to
add. If we're concerned people forget the Blueprint tag, or forget
to check blueprint approval, then we'll just have same problem with
depends-on - people will forget to add it, and cores will forget
to check the dependant change. So this just feels like extra rules
for no gain and extra pain.

Regards,
Daniel