[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Ironic] Using depends-on for patches which require an approved spec

Ruby Loo rlooyahoo at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:31:27 UTC 2015

On 22 May 2015 at 21:38, Morgan Fainberg <morgan.fainberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> This seems like a good idea for a pattern in general to use gong forward.
>

> --Morgan
> Sent via mobile
>
> > On May 22, 2015, at 14:57, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > it would be cool if devs posting changes for nova which depend on us
> > approving their spec could use Depends-On to make sure their code
> > doesn't land until the spec does.

On that note, In Ironic, some of us have been talking about how to make -2
better. Right now, we -2 any patches that depend on a spec needing
approval. Some downsides are that 1) someone needs to notice to -2 it; 2)
the person that puts the -2 has to remove it later (or I guess someone in
infra can do that?); and 3) some developers don't like getting the -2 (even
though we message it by saying that it can still be reviewed etc but cannot
be approved until the spec is approved).

For Nova, is the Depends-On a replacement for the -2 process? (I think Nova
does/did a similar thing as Ironic.)

I was thinking that using Depends-On should work as a replacement for the
-2 method. Some of the downsides might be that 1) someone will have to
notice/remind developers to add this; 2) doesn't work in the case where a
patch is approved and the spec changes after the patch is approved, the
spec is approved, and then the patch lands (without subsequent changes).

The pluses are that yay, I get quick access to the spec (instead of via the
blueprint) and I don't have to get into a conversation with someone about
why their patch has been -2'd.

--ruby