[openstack-dev] [nova] I think nova behaves poorly when booting multiple instances

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon May 25 15:37:32 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've just opened a bug around booting multiple instances at once, and it was
suggested on IRC that I mention it here to broaden the discussion around the
ideal behaviour.

The bug is at:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1458122

Basically the problem is this:

When booting up instances, nova allows the user to specify a "min count" and a
"max count".  So logically, this request should be considered successful if at
least "min count" instances can be booted.

Currently, if the user has quota space for "max count" instances, then nova will
try to create them all. If any of them can't be scheduled, then the creation of
all of them will be aborted and they will all be put into an error state.

Arguably, if nova was able to schedule at least "min count" instances (which
defaults to 1) then it should continue on with creating those instances that it
was able to schedule. Only if nova cannot create at least "min count" instances
should nova actually consider the request as failed.

Also, I think that if nova can't schedule "max count" instances, but can
schedule at least "min count" instances, then it shouldn't put the unscheduled
ones into an error state--it should just delete them.

Thoughts?

Chris